Image Source – http://www.freepik.com
Indians love gold! It is a very well known fact that Indians have been fascinated with gold across generations. Every Indian function is incomplete without men and women adorning jewellery made of gold. You can see a myriad of gold jewellery on display during various functions like weddings, birthdays, anniversaries and even simple kitty parties.
Buying gold has a dual benefit – it is an investment and a fashion accessory. The gold jewellery market is booming these days with both offline and online stores. Customers are becoming more aware while making a purchase and they compare their options before making a decision. However, the increasing number of options could turn out to be quite confusing as well. Hence, to make an informed choice, we have listed some important points to keep in mind while buying gold jewellery.
- Purity – The first thing that you need to look for while buying jewellery is; purity. Gold is denoted in Karats, with 24 karats being the highest. 24 karat of gold is 99.9% pure and 22 karat is 91.6% pure. However, 24 karat gold isn’t suitable for making gold jewellery as it is very soft and is prone to wear and tear whereas 22 karat has a good wear resistance and is more solid. So, jewellery manufacturers use 22 karats for the same.
- Making charge – As the term sounds, a making charge is an amount levied as per the labor involved in creating the piece of jewellery. Since making charges is not fixed, many a time customers get fleeced into paying higher making charges. Always be cautious and smart while purchasing gold jewellery.
- Time of purchase – Gold sales peak during festive seasons and important occasions resulting in an increase in the rates. It would be a smart choice to purchase gold during the non-peak seasons to enjoy the off-season rates. There are also ample discounts and offers during these times.
- Per gram cost – It is imperative to keep yourself updated on the per gram costs of gold in case you are planning to purchase jewellery. You can check the gold rates from a trustworthy source instead of aimlessly browsing online. The pricing varies across different showrooms so, have your facts together first and then head out to purchase jewellery.
Image source – http://www.moneymetals.com
- Certificate – We cannot stress enough on the importance of buying certified jewellery as you will be spending a fortune while purchasing gold. Always make it a point to check if there is a BIS certification on the product you want to buy.
Why shop with us?
We at AOFY Gold provide you with the best quality of gold jewellery, gold coins and, bars. Our designs are fresh, new and trendy and we use 22 karat gold for manufacturing jewellery. We have a very popular online presence and jewellery gets delivered to your doorstep. Also, our making charges are very low giving you great value for money. Check our website to see our beautiful range.
Keep this checklist with you whenever you purchase gold jewellery. The more informed you are, the lesser chances of someone fooling you.